We’re in love with the down-to-earth writing, beautiful sense of humour and stories in From Scratch, the new book by Fiona Weir Walmsley from Buena Vista Farm.
Growing up in the ‘gong in the 70s, our childhood weekends were spent down on our uncle’s dairy farms in the rolling green hills of Fox Ground and Bomaderry so this book is not only full of delightful, easy to accomplish recipes but also sparks fond memories of that beautiful part of the world.
Fiona very kindly agreed to share a recipe from the book with Southern Wild Co, timed perfectly to coincide with warm summer days and upcoming festive gatherings. Enjoy!
Chilled Avocado Soup Sip with Prawns
This is, perhaps obviously, a summer soup. In fact, it dates back to when Adam and I were young and child-free and one of our favourite things to do was make elaborate degustations for our friends and family. This little soup sip has featured on our Christmas menus and dinner parties and I give it to you now because it’s elegant and you can make it on the spot (if you can find your food processor in amongst the chaos of a fourteen-course degustation. *Eye roll*.)
Serves 4 as small bowls, or 8 in shot glasses
- 2.5 avocados, peeled and de-stoned
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 litre (34 fl oz/4 cups) cold Chicken Broth
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- sliced cooked prawns, for garnish
- Process the avocado, garlic and lime juice in a food processor until smooth. Add the cold stock slowly and process until combined.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide between shot glasses and serve topped with sliced prawns.
This soup keeps well in the fridge (separately to the prawns) for about a day, if you want to take the edge out of thrash catering and make it the day before.
You can buy From Scratch at all good book stores and online but we highly recommend supporting your local bookstore!